I am a huge fan of waffles but we’ve never had them at home before, as we didn’t have a waffle maker – but now we have this fabulous VonShef rotating one, we will never look back. Breakfast at the weekends are now complete with waffles for all the family. Delicious. Here are our favourite waffle ideas from bank holiday weekend.
First of all we have to get the mixture right for the waffle maker, there are various types online but we found this one the best:
- 450ml full-fat milk
- 3 large free-range eggs, separated
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- Heat the waffle iron – the green light will come on and then use a spray oil to coat the iron before adding the mixture.
- Pour the milk into a large measuring jug add the egg yolks, oil and vanilla and beat together. Combine the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl. Combine the dry and wet ingredients in the food mixer and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Put the egg whites into a clean bowl and whisk to stiff peaks using your food mixer. Slowly fold the egg whites into the batter, until it has a thick and airy consistency.
- Fill one side of the heated waffle iron with the batter in a ladle, close and rotate the waffle maker to ensure the mixture is evenly covered. The waffles should take around 5/6 minutes on a medium heat. You want them to be browned and slightly crispy.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up and keep the waffles warm in an oven on a very low heat.
After we had cooked up our waffles in the rotating waffle maker, we each had a quarter (as it takes 5 minutes to make each waffle) and we all did different things with them.
Here are our family choices for our waffles:
Daddy – a drizzle of honey, fruit and a sprinkling of crumbled nuts.
Mummy – a drizzle of honey, spoonful of greek yoghurt and pomegranate.
Noah – a dollop of Nutella.
Isla – a drizzle of maple syrup and fruit.
What is your favourite thing to have on waffles? I would love to know in the comments below or on social media: @mummyconstant.