Flora recently sent me some recipes and I just couldn’t resist this sticky ginger cake recipe. Perfect sponge, ginger-tastic and a thick gloopy icing on top to give it an extra zangy taste. It is a surprisingly easy recipe to follow, quick to make but there are a few ingredients that you might have to hunt around your supermarkets for – like ginger syrup.
Sticky ginger cake
- 225 g 8oz self-raising flour, sieved
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 115 g 4oz Flora Cuisine or Buttery
- 115 g 4oz dark muscovado sugar
- 115 g black treacle
- 115 g golden syrup
- 250 ml 9floz semi-skimmed milk
- 85 g 3oz stem ginger in syrup finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 100 g 3½oz icing sugar, sieved
- 2 –3 tbsp ginger syrup
- 25 g 1oz stem ginger finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, gas mark 4. Grease and line a deep 18cm round cake tin or a loaf tin as I used.
- Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices into a mixing bowl.
- Melt Flora with the sugar, treacle, syrup and milk over a gentle heat, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the stem ginger to the flour, pour in the melted ingredients, stir thoroughly, then add the egg and beat together.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Leave to cool completely before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Make the icing by blending the sugar with 2–3 tablespoons of ginger syrup to form a runny icing (adding 1–2 teaspoons of water if necessary) and drizzle over the top of the cake finishing with the stem ginger.
Check out my video to see how I did it: Adapted from Sonia Constant
There are more wonderful cake recipes on the Flora website, feel free to comment with a link to any that you make.
bakingcakefloraFlora Butteryfoodgingerginger cakereciperecipesSticky ginger cake
Jet Shergold-SmithFebruary 1, 2016
Definitely adding this to my baking list! 🙂 xxx
Sonia ConstantFebruary 2, 2016
Yippee, I am glad you liked the recipe – it really is yummy 🙂 x
Mark WrightFebruary 23, 2016
My WORD, it looks so yummy! Too bad I’m not great at baking.