It struck me yesterday that Isla, Daddy and Noah have all visited A&E since lockdown started. Isla as she had a concussion. Daddy, as he has been getting chest pains, which turned out to be torn cartilage by his ribs and at the weekend, Noah. Noah presented with abdominal pains, to the right of his belly button and he was in a lot of pain. I wanted to document what happened at the stop in hospital, in case it helps with someone else in the future.

Noah had been complaining of stomach pains for a couple of hours, in that time it had got worse and worse. By 8pm, he was crying with the pain and curling his toes. He said it was coming in waves, I imagined it to be like a contraction the way he described it. The pains didn’t last for too long, but when they came on he was in a lot of pain.

We called 111, they immediately told me to get him to A&E, as an assessment was needed. So, off we went to our local hospital. The hospital where Noah was born and the last time he had overnight stop in hospital. In the car Noah became increasingly worse. His eyes rolled around his head, he kept complaining he was faint. On top of the sharp pains in his tummy,

We got to A&E and the triage doctor quickly assessed Noah. Within minutes he was wheeled into the ward where another doctor came to check on his tummy. He ordered bloodwork, urine samples and ECG tests. After 5 minutes the doctor told me he feared it was Noah’s appendix and that a surgeon was going to assess him. The doctor then said that Daddy could come in too, I think he could see the panic on my face. Up until then I had been on my own in the hospital due to Covid.


The surgeon appeared within about 20 minutes. He felt Noah’s stomach and groin area for symptoms of appendicitis. After a visual assessment, the surgeon was convinced it wasn’t his appendix. But until the bloodwork had come back, they couldn’t be sure. After the surgeons visit the nurse put a cannula in Noah’s inner elbow (which Daddy and I nearly fainted at), they took Noah’s blood and then Noah had to give a urine sample. They managed to get Noah Calpol just before he went to the toilet. En route back to the emergency room Noah was sick all over the floor. The Calpol was out. So, they gave him paracetamol via the cannula whilst we waited for his blood test results.

By around midnight, the blood test results came through and it was all normal. His urine all normal too. The ECG tests were normal too. The doctor said that it still could be his appendix, just the very beginning of it and he wanted to admit Noah overnight for observation. The paediatrician came to check Noah too and she said that because Noah was out of it, she couldn’t asses him properly and needed to do so when he woke up.


So, 2am and Noah had been wheeled to the children’s ward. We were given a room with our own toilet, which was great, and I had a pull-out bed to snooze on. The pediatrician and a nurse came to assess Noah again, check his vitals and make sure he was comfortable. I think I got to sleep around 3am, I couldn’t sleep for a while. I just sat there staring at Noah. He was sleeping peacefully at this point, but he kept wriggling his arm with the cannula. I think I was worried he would dislodge it. You know when you fall asleep with one eye open, well that’s what it feels like and that is what I slept like. I kept waking up, every half an hour, to check he was still there, breathing and the cannula was still intact.

5:45am came around and I as up. I had a quick wash and the nurse brought me a cup of coffee. I sat watching Noah until he woke up. I was asked what he would want for breakfast, I ordered him toast with blackcurrant jam and a cup of tea. Such a decision to make on his behalf. I think it was just after 7am that he woke up and he was normal Noah. Talking to me like normal, making jokes and giving me that beautiful smile. The storm was over.

hospital TV

He managed to eat his breakfast, he said he loved blackcurrant jam and has asked for this at home now. We sat and watched CBBC on the TV from the ceiling (which he loved) for hours. Just sat together. The doctor assessed him at 10am, she checked everything. She moved his legs around, his arms, did what looked like a judo move on his stomach. She said she thought his appendix was fine. She said she could feel a bubbling gas where Noah’s pains came from, this is sometimes caused by a bug/virus and blocks the gas which causes the pain. I made the joke about a big blow off will sort it – but she said, very seriously, it wasn’t to do with that. The gas was stuck before the area where the poop is made. So, we are just waiting for the gas to pass and Noah to be fully back to normal.

He has said he feels much better. We are making sure he rests and doesn’t exert himself too much. He is eating plain foods too, no fizzy sweets or anything like that. He has refused chocolate and coke, so you know something isn’t right when that happens. Fingers crossed it will pass soon and he will back to 100%.

leaving hospital

Thank you for all of your kind comments and messages, I really appreciate it and so does Noah. Being a Mummy is super scary at times like this, everything goes out of the window and their health and safety is THE only thing you concentrate on. Our stop in hospital was scary, but I am just sincerely grateful that he is on the mend… thank you so much to the wonderful NHS.

What do you think?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Emma England
    Monday, August 3, 2020

    How scary! Especially at a time like this, glad to hear he’s feeling better.

  • Sheena Read
    Tuesday, August 4, 2020

    I hope Noah is on the mend now.

  • Susan B
    Wednesday, August 5, 2020

    Oh, my goodness. Scary indeed! So pleased Noah is ok and that he and you were both looked after so well by the NHS.

  • Heidi
    Sunday, August 16, 2020

    That would be so worrying and scary. Glad he’s okay now!!

  • Roz Walker-Smith
    Wednesday, August 26, 2020

    How scary for you all. My youngest so has been in and out because of his asthma and the first time was the worst moment of my life. I have never been so scared. Tour local children’s hospital is amazing and I am so grateful for all the care they give.

  • Margaret Gallagher
    Tuesday, November 24, 2020

    Worrying times – glad all turned out well

  • Jake Iszard
    Saturday, December 5, 2020

    Im not gonna lie this exact same thing happened to me when i was in year 8 (so about 12/13 years old) i was in hospital for two days in agony then farted and was absolutely fine noone believed me when i tell them i went was in hospital for a fart, im so sorry you guys had to go through this with everything going on but im also glad its not just me thats gone through it.
    later in life when i was 20 i found out i had IBD so this may have been the cause of the stuck gas fo me.

  • Jeanette Leighton
    Thursday, December 10, 2020

    Glad he is all better and it was nothing serious. Definitely worrying when they are ill , my son had his nasal flu spray and had a cold or virus for 3 weeks after he’s still not right and hasn’t been eating properly at all he’s only 4 and already a fussy eater so I’ve been constantly worrying for about 3 weeks!