All dogs, without exception, have a specific smell. Their skin produces a secret, wet hair also emits a not very pleasant aroma, so it is recommended to bathe the animal regularly, treat it with tick and flea repellent, and wipe it dry. I’m not going to go on about how we need to train and treat an animal, because every pet owner already knows about this. Today we have prepared several carpet cleaning tips on how to remove pet urine from the carpet, as well as the natural animal smell.
Why is It So Important to Remove Pet’s Smell on Time?
Dogs living in a flat or private house are constantly lying and playing on carpets. Carpets actively absorb skin secretions and sweat, leaving hair particles on them. All this is constantly inhaled by pet owners, so experts recommend that families who have four-footed friends give up carpets. If the floor covering cannot be removed, you must use deep carpet cleaning services at least twice a year. This is not about simple dry vacuuming, but about professional carpet cleaning.
How to Find a Stain?
When advising on how to get pet urine off the carpet, it is worth focusing your attention on the fact that this type of stain remains invisible. The smell is strong, but the trace may not be visible. To find it, use the following method:
- buy or rent an ultraviolet lamp;
- in the dark, turn on the lamp, illuminate every square meter of flooring;
- at one point, you will see a bright green or yellowish glowing spot.
Cats most often leave puddles under furniture, but dogs are less resourceful, so you need to look for their tracks in the corners or in the centre of the room. After detecting a stain, it is better to order a professional carpet cleaning service, during which professional tools and equipment will be used. They will extract from the material both moisture, chemical residues and the salt of your pet’s urine. In this case, not spot removal of the stain will be performed, but cleaning of the entire coating. If you’d like to try to fix the problem yourself, then check out our domestic carpet cleaning tips:
Carpet Cleaning with Hydrogen Peroxide and Dishwashing Liquid
For this cleaning recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
100 ml of hydrogen peroxide 3% (about ½ part of a glass);
1 tsp concentrated detergent that you use to wash your dishes. It is better to choose a transparent composition, and not one that is painted in pink, green or other bright colours.
Mix the above ingredients, and then proceed as follows:
- blot the stain with a paper or cloth towel;
- pour the solution into a spray bottle and spray it;
- rub the liquid from the edge to the centre of the stain using an old toothbrush;
- vacuum the coating after it is completely dry.
The method does not guarantee a 100% result, unlike carpet cleaning services. Before starting work, professionals determine the composition of the carpet, choosing the best carpet cleaning method.
Carpet Cleaning with Soda and Water
When talking about how to remove dog urine from the carpet at home, it is impossible not to mention the recipe, the main component of which is 1 tbsp. soda and 500 ml of water. The liquid must be sprayed onto the stain with a spray bottle. Wait until the mixture is completely dry, and then properly vacuum the carpet.
How to Remove the Dog Smell from the Carpet?
The carpet regularly comes into contact with the dog’s coat, which is covered with natural oil secretions. As a result, an odour appears; the following recommendations will help to slow down its spread:
- be sure to wash the animal’s paws after a walk, and then wipe them with a towel;
- remove wool from flooring and furniture using stiff brushes and special nozzles for a vacuum cleaner;
- comb the animal, preventing hair loss;
- use hygiene products appropriate for the breed.
To remove an existing pet urine odour, it is recommended to resort to the following carpet cleaning method:
- take about 200-300 g of baking soda, and then distribute it over the area of the coating where the pet likes to lie most of all. You can mix baking soda and baby powder in equal parts if the smell is too strong;
- use a brush to rub absorbent powder into the carpet (from the edges to the centre), leave it on for 30 minutes, preferably overnight;
- after the specified period, vacuum the coating.
Incorrect drying and incomplete removal of household chemicals after cleaning can lead to the growth of bacteria and mould. You can avoid troubles by opting for steam carpet cleaning services. It allows you to remove particles of dirt and organic matter from the entire coverage area, removes odours, guaranteeing a flawless result that will last for 12 months!
Do you have any other tips on how to get rid of pet urine smells and stains from a carpet? I would love to know in the comments below or on social media: @mummyconstant.