The family car holds great importance in our lives, as it is not merely a machine operated by anyone with training but a cherished possession that carries memories and helps build strong family bonds. Given its value, it becomes essential to understand how we can protect our family car so that it makes our holiday less stressful. While there are various products available in the market to safeguard cars from theft and related activities, one of the easiest and most effective ways is to use a GPS tracker.
A GPS tracker serves as an interactive security system that alerts you of any theft activities occurring with your car. It consists of a tracking device and a mobile/desktop application. Despite its small size, the GPS tracker has the capability to sense what is happening around the car. The reasons for installing a car tracker for our family car are as follows:
1. Easy Onetime Installation: Unlike traditional locking systems that require constant engagement and disengagement, a tracker for car only needs to be installed once and serves you continuously until you decide to remove it. The installation process is simple, and there are two modes of connectivity available:
– Tracker with Inbuilt Battery: This type of tracker device works independently using its own built-in battery.
– Trackers Connected to External Battery Sources: These tracker devices need to be connected to external power sources like a car battery or the OBD port inside the car.
The installation process typically involves charging the device (for inbuilt battery devices) and turning it on, followed by placing it in an appropriate location inside the car.
2. The Convenience of the Mobile Application: The mobile application serves as the backbone of security provided by the tracker device for the family car. Once installed, the app acts as a gateway to manage the car’s security. Users can set various alerts such as speeding alerts, geo-fence alerts, ignition alerts, and vibrational alerts. The application also allows real-time tracking of the vehicle’s movement, enabling users to review its position whenever desired and ensuring the safety of the
car. This feature adds a level of convenience and peace of mind.
3. Global Coverage: Whether you are at home with the car or traveling abroad, you remain connected to the tracker device on your family car. The device uses special SIM cards called M2M (Machine-to-Machine) SIMs, allowing it to send signals to the application across borders. This makes it one of the most reliable car security systems. Additionally, these SIM cards have the ability to switch between the best-performing networks in any area, ensuring uninterrupted live tracking.
4. Travel Budgeting: Have you ever wondered how many kilometers your family car has traveled and the routes it has taken over the course of a month? A GPS device helps you keep track of such metrics and can assist in reducing unnecessary travel plans, thereby saving fuel costs. The application dashboard provides additional information such as speeding profiles, stop points, and distance traveled per day, offering valuable insights into your car’s usage patterns.
When it comes to selecting the right GPS tracker for your family car, consider the following criteria:
1. App Performance: Thoroughly check the mobile/desktop application before purchasing a tracker device. Familiarize yourself with the controlling interface through demo accounts provided by most companies. It is essential to ensure that you are comfortable with the software’s functionality.
2. Battery Life: Battery life is another crucial factor to consider when choosing a tracker device. On average, the battery should last for 90 days in standby mode. A longer battery life reduces the frequency of charging and provides convenience.
3. Alert Functions: Alerts are vital indicators that prompt action for the security of your family car. Different types of alerts are required to safeguard the car from various threats. For example, a geo-fence alert is needed when the car is parked in a safe place.