After watching Great British Bake Off, week two, last night, it has really got me in the mood for biscuits. I was sent some really interesting information from VoucherBox: The Great British Save Off, which has a yummy recipe and also a cost chart so you can see where you can save some money on buying the ingredients for the biscuits. So I saved a bit of money and also made these delicious gingerbread biscuits.
- 350 g Plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125 g butter
- 175 g light brown soft sugar
- 1 free range egg
- 4 tsp golden syrup
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and blend until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together, add to the food processor and pulse until the mixture clumps together. Tip the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm/¼in thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using cutters, cut out the gingerbread men shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling. When cooled decorate with the writing icing and cake decorations.