I have been really lucky to recently receive a big box of Butterkist popcorn, my favourite is Butterkist Toffee flavour. I don’t really like any of the other flavours. But that was before I tried the Salted Caramel and Chocolate Mallow. Incredible! With all this popcorn, it made me have an idea of baking with them – so we made some Salted Caramel Popcorn cupcakes. I love the way they look like little boxes of popcorn.
I made a video of the recipe, which you can find on my YouTube channel, or you can watch it below. The recipe is also below too incase you want to print it out and create these for yourself. They are very yummy. I would love to see your creations on social media, make sure you tag me @mummyconstant.
Salted Caramel Popcorn Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 2 1/4 Cups Plain Flour sifted
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Bicarb of Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup 2 sticks Salted Butter
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Hot Water
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
For the frosting
- 1 Cup 2 sticks Salted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 4 1/2 Cups icing Sugar
- Approximately 2 TSP of Caramel flavouring
- 3-4 TBSP Milk
- Butterkist Salted Caramel Popcorn for decoration
- Golden Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line 1 cupcake trays with 10 cupcake cases and spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Mix flour, white sugar, Bicarb of soda, and baking powder together in a bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat combine butter, brown sugar and hot water together. Heat until melted together and is the consistency of syrup. This means letting it boil for about 10 minutes while stirring constantly. Let it cool for 3 minutes.
- Pour syrup over dry ingredients and mix in electric mixer.
- Add eggs, vanilla, heavy cream, and whole milk and mix well.
- Scoop batter into cupcake cases, about half way.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the knife test is clean! Remove from the oven at let cool for at least an hour before frosting.
- To prepare frosting, in a stand mixer cream butter until fluffy (usually about 3-5 minutes).
- Add two cups of icing sugar and mix.
- Add caramel flavouring.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and mix.
- Add 3-4 TBSP of milk and combine.
- Place frosting in the the fridge to cool for 20-30 minutes.
- Fill a piping bag with frosting and frost the tops of the cupcakes. I just did a simple swirl on top since I would be adding the popcorn on top.
- Top the frosting with the popcorn.
- Drizzle golden syrup on the top.