I love mindfulness and quick tips that you can use to incorporate a little mental clarity into your day. Pen Heaven reached out with some fabulous tips on how to do this via a 15 minute brain dump technique. Also known as “brain dumping”. This technique is perfect for clearing your mind and gaining a new perspective, if you needed one! I did this tonight to get my blog plan thoughts down on paper, ready for me to start doing something with it. I did feel a bit lighter afterwards.
The tips from Pen Heaven are below:
- Find a quiet and distraction-free environment: Choose a serene spot where you can comfortably focus without interruptions. This could be a cozy corner in your home or a favourite local café.
- Set aside dedicated time regularly: Allocate a specific period, be it 10 minutes or half an hour, solely for the purpose of Brain Dumping. Make it a non-negotiable commitment to yourself and remember consistency is key to maintaining a fresh and organised mind.
- Gather your tools and embrace creativity: Have a notebook, journal, and pen(s) readily available. The choice of medium is entirely personal—select whatever works best for you. Feel free to sketch, draw, or use colours if that helps you express your thoughts better.
- Write freely and without judgment: Let your thoughts flow naturally onto the page. Don’t worry about coherence or structure at this stage. Just let it all out without self-censorship.
- Organise and categorise: Once your thoughts are captured, review and group them into different categories such as work, personal, health, or relationships. This will help bring clarity and identify areas that require immediate attention.
- Prioritise and action: With your thoughts now organised, identify the top three tasks in each category that will significantly impact your overall well-being. Create a plan of action to address these tasks and set achievable goals.
- Practice self-compassion: Remember, perfection is not the goal. Embrace the imperfections and give yourself grace as you navigate through this process.
Pen Heaven sent me this fabulous notebook and pen set to get me started on my brain dumping journey, I am going to try and make time to do this for 15 minutes a day – it will help collect my thoughts for work, finishing off uni and my blog. There is always a lot to do!
The Leuchtturm1917 Master Slim Hard Cover Notebook is perfect for brain dumping, you can date and organise your notes too – it even has a little space at the front of the book so you can add a table of contents. Perfect for when you know your notes will be useful to look back on at a later date. This Pelikan Jazz Noble Elegance Rose Ballpoint & Fountain Pen Set is the perfect accompaniment – I can use the ballpoint for making my notes and the fountain pen will be great for when I have cards to write.
Do you have any mindfulness tips? I would love to know in the comments below.