This is a brilliant recipe for adding a little spice and fruit to your Easter baking. I like the recipe as it’s a subtle drop of spice and yummy currants, the decoration is fun for the children and you can have these finished off within the hour. Isla enjoyed decorating the biscuits and eating the chocolate icing too, who wouldn’t? Dr Oetker have many Easter recipes online if you want to try some Easter baking with the children this weekend.
Sugar and Spice Easter Nest Biscuits
For the Biscuits
- 65 g Lightly Salted Butter Softened
- 50 g Caster Sugar
- 1 Portion Egg Yolk 1 Medium sized
- 5 ml Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract
- 125 g Plain Flour plus extra for dusting
- 5 g Mixed Spice
- 40 g Currants
- 200 g Dr. Oetker Ready to Roll Marzipan
- 5 g Icing Sugar For dusting
- 30 g Apricot Jam
- Dr. Oetker Chocolate Easy Swirl Cupcake Icing
For the Biscuits
- Line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and whisk together well until smooth and creamy.
- Whisk in the egg yolk and Vanilla Extract.
- Sift the flour and spice on top and add the currants.
- Mix all the ingredients together until well combined, and then bring the mixture together with your hands to make a fairly soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth.
- Roll out thinly to a thickness no greater than ½ cm (1/4 inch). Using a 6cm (2 ½ inch) crinkle edged round cutter, stamp out 12 rounds, re-rolling as necessary and place on the baking trays, spaced a little apart. Prick with a fork.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C (180˚C fan assisted oven, 400˚F, gas mark 6).
- Bake the biscuits for about 12 minutes until lightly golden round the edges.
- Leave on the tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using the crinkle cutter from above, cut out 12 circles in the ready rolled Marzipan.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with jam or honey and stick a Marzipan disc on top when the biscuits have cooled.
- Prepare the can of Easy Swirl Icing as directed and fit the star nozzle on top.
- Pipe a small swirl in the centre of each biscuit to resemble a nest.
- Fill the nest with chocolate eggs, or rolled up marzipan.