Yes I know a cloakroom is a polite way of saying the toilet room. When we moved into our first home, we knew there would be a lot of work to do as it had been occupied by an elderly couple and the interior was possibly over 30 years old. We did a lot of work in the bedrooms and main living spaces initially, our cloakroom was not so much a priority. So, I managed to update it and this is what I did to redecorate our cloakroom on a DIY budget.
As you can see, the before did not leave a lot to be desired, not for us in any case. The tiles had a floral pattern on and the walls were covered in a pinky cloud like pattern. The pipework really frustrates me too, but that is something for another day. My first attempts at making this cloakroom a little nicer was to strip the wallpaper and use stickers to cover the tiles. But the green I chose was quite dark in the small room and the tiles were a little translucent and so you could see the pink floral pattern behind them.
I finally settled on a colour I liked, I chose an off white colour with a hint of blue. The walls look bright and clean, I really love the colour; Crown Seldom Seen. Simply painting the pipes has made them a little easier to ignore. We changed the toilet seat for a nicer colour, that matched the scheme of greys. The flooring was done when we had the kitchen and hallway done. We paid a little extra to carry it through into this room. Which I am really glad we did, it has made a huge difference.
After painting the walls in the new colour I found some tile stickers on Amazon: these 12″ by 12″ peel and stick tiles look and feel like tiles. It cost £26.99 for a pack and I have 2 sheets left over from the space around the sink. They do other colours too, I love the duck egg colour and I chose the white tile with grey grout (this is currently sold out). These tiles enabled me to transform this room on a budget, as re-tiling would have cost me a lot more. Check out your options with stickers as sometimes, for small spaces, it can be a perfect solution.
So all in all this makeover for the cloakroom cost under £50. I put some pictures on the wall that I had in other areas and the shelves were a bargain from B&M last Summer. The tits print from Yorkshire wildlife trust makes me laugh, it is also nice as it helps us identify what we have in our own garden. This will move into the garden room / office when it’s completed. It’s amazing how you can transform a room with a lot of effort but a minimal budget. It has made such a difference. I hope you like our cloakroom made on a DIY budget! If you like a before and after, check out Noah’s bedroom reveal after I added some pizzaz to his room with a little paint.